Monday, July 15, 2013

Honeycomb Garden


Another reveal day is here and the theme is Cell.  I chose to interpret the honeycomb cell.   "One of the most popular patterns in North American quilting after 1925 was the Grandmother's Flower Garden" stated quilt historian and scholar Barbara Brackman.  She also reported that "many women who never made another quilt finished a Grandmother's Flower Garden".  I have quilted for about 25 years and I have never made one so I thought I'd use that quilt pattern to interpret this reveal's theme and make my  mini "garden". I used two colors of silk for this piece.   A fusible stabilizer was used to make the hexagonal templates for my cells. I lightly ironed them in place to the backs of my pieces of silk, basted and then worked on a pleasing arrangement.  When happy with the design I hand stitched the cells together.  I machine stitched my garden onto a 12 X 12 piece of peltex that was covered with the same ivory silk as the cells.  I echo quilted 1/4 inch inside each cell and then continued stitching the hexagonal design on the background.  A hand embroidered bee was added.  The wings are not fused to the background and provide a 3-D effect.  

As usual  this was not the only 12 X 12  made for the theme.  I first made this version of a honeycomb.

I used a combination of batting, stitching and pigma pens to create the comb.  I added a fused and beaded bee, the branches and leaves.  Generally happy with the overall effect, I decided I really didn't like how the bee came out or the roundness of the comb.  I thought about just redoing the bee, but if was fused down and the legs and antennae were drawn using pigma pens so I left it alone for a few days.  It was then that I came up with the idea of the silk cells and began the other piece which I was much more satisified with.

If you haven't already, please view the Material Mavens blog for the other stunning interpretations of Cell.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, lovely, Nedra! I love the second one, too, but I think you made the right choice to choose the first one for the MM blog! You obviously put a LOT of work into this particular theme!

    ReplyDelete